Use these steps to convert a Progress version 9 database to OpenEdge 10 when the following conditions hold:
A version 9 database has been moved to a new machine where OpenEdge 10 has been installed.
The directory where the version 9 database has been placed on the new machine is different from what it was originally.
The migration is between Progress/OpenEdge versions on the same supported Platform.
1. From an environment where the DLC and PATH environment variables have been correctly set for OpenEdge 10, place the following at the front of the PATH environment variable:
[UNIX] PATH=$DLC/bin/91dbutils:$PATH; export PATH
2. Edit the structure file of the version 9 database so that all the paths to the database files are set to the fully qualified path
3. change the convmap to version 9:
[WINDOWS] set PROCONV=%DLC%\bin\91dbutils\convmap.cp
[UNIX] PROCONV=$DLC/bin/91dbutils/convmap.cp; export PROCONV
4. Repair the version 9 database structure with the version 9 executable:
91_dbutil prostrct repair <dbname> <dbname.st>
5. Truncate the version 9 database with the version 9 executable:
91_proutil <dbname> -C trunc bi -G 3
6. Take a backup of the version 9 database:
91_dbutil probkup <dbname> <device>
7. change the convmap to version 10:
[WINDOWS] set PROCONV=%DLC%\convmap.cp
[UNIX] PROCONV=$DLC/convmap.cp; export PROCONV
8. Convert the version 9 database to version 10 database with conv910:
proutil <dbname> -C conv910
9. The database has been successfully converted to OpenEdge 10. It is recommended to make a baseline backup of the converted database at this point.