Progress provides a utility that can be used to update expired licenses in an existing OpenEdge installation without requiring reinstallation. This utility is called "License Update" on Windows platforms and "Product Update" or "proupdt" on Unix/Linux platforms.
To use the License Update utility in Windows:
To find the "Config" and "License Update" shortcuts used in steps 1 and 2:
- In Windows 7 and earlier: From the Start menu, select All Programs > OpenEdge (a different program group name than "OpenEdge" may have been specified at installation).
- In Windows 8.1:
a. Access the Start screen using the Start button (lower left corner of the Desktop) or the Charms bar (swipe from right edge of screen)
b. Click the down arrow icon in the lower left of the Start screen to access the Apps screen
c. If the Apps are not sorted "by name" or "by category", switch to one of these sorts by pulling down the drop-down list next to the "Apps" title.
d. Look for a group of shortcuts labeled "Progress" (the group headings are in alphabetical order)
a. Open the Start menu using the Start button (lower left corner of the Desktop).
b. Click "All apps"
c. Pull down the scroll bar to the shortcuts beginning with "P" and expand "Progress".
1. From the Windows Start menu, select All Programs > OpenEdge > Config. (A different program group name than "OpenEdge" may have been specified at installation).TheConfig utility (SHOWCFG) displays the product license information for each OpenEdge product installed on the system.
2. Also from the OpenEdge program group, choose License Update. A Setup dialog will begin that looks similar to the product installation dialog.
3. On the Welcome screen, click Next.
4. On the Serial & Control Numbers screen, enter the serial number and the new control numbers that were provided. For OpenEdge 10.1C and greater, control codes may be loaded from the license addendum HTML file by clicking the Load button and specifying the license addendum file in the Open File dialog.
5. Click Accept. The Product(s) Updated dialog box displays the products for which licenses will be updated. If this list is correct, click Done.
To use the Product Update utility on UNIX or Linux:
1. Use the SHOWCFG utility to display the product configuration information stored in the configuration file progress.cfg. Enter the following from the system prompt:
2. Change the current working directory to the directory where OpenEdge is installed:
3. At the system prompt, type proupdt and press RETURN:
If asked "Would you like to install a service pack" answer 'n' for "no".
4. When the Welcome dialog box appears, press RETURN. The Product Configuration Data dialog box will appear.
5. Enter the company name, the serial number, and the new control numbers that were provided.
6. Press ENTER. The Modified Product Information dialog box will appear. Press ENTER again to return to the Product Configuration Data dialog box.
7. Press CTRL+E to indicate that all control codes have been entered.
Note: CTRL+E cannot be entered from the Serial Number field.