Several methods can be used to find the Database’s Startup Parameters:
Data Administration (GUI) or Data Dictionary (TTY)
- Data Administration (GUI) or Data Dictionary (TTY)
- Database Log file
- OpenEdge Console UI or (retired) Progress Explorer Tool
- ProTools (Windows only)
- ABL Session System Handle STARTUP-PARAMETERS Attribute (OpenEdge 10)
- VST _servers. _SrvParam* (OpenEdge 11.5)
Navigate to: Utilities menu > Information
An editor widget is displayed with several sections. The pertinent sections are:
Currently Selected Database (database codepage and database collation)
session stream - a value of the cpstream startup parameter.
Database Log file
session charset- the value of the cpinternal startup parameter.
When the Database starts a Multi-user session, Progress will display in the Database log file the startup parameters that the database has acknowledged, between the following two lines:
BROKER 0: Multi-user session begin. (333)
BROKER 0: Database connections have been enabled. (10471)
Prior to OpenEdge 11.5, if PROLOG is used to truncate the lg file this information could no longer be available. Refer to Article:
OpenEdge Console UI or (retired) Progress Explorer Tool
Highlight the specific database. The properties of the default configuration will list the startup options. This information is stored in <install Directory>\properties\conmgr.properties
file although default values
that exist for unspecified startup parameters will not be written.
- Select Option 6: Shared Resources, or
- R&D > 1: Status Display > 12: Startup Parameters
Use the Session icon to present a dialog that displays all client session attributes. There is no information about the connected database(s).ABL Session System Handle STARTUP-PARAMETERS Attribute (OpenEdge 10)
FIND FIRST _db NO-LOCK.
_db-xl-name FORMAT "X(15)" LABEL "Db codepage"
_db-coll-name FORMAT "X(15)" LABEL "Db collation"
SESSION:CPINTERNAL FORMAT "X(15)" LABEL "4GL Codepage"
SESSION:CPCOLL FORMAT "X(15)" LABEL "4GL Collation"
SESSION:CPSTREAM FORMAT "X(15)" LABEL "4GL Stream"
WITH 1 COL.
When working with Dataservers (Oracle, Progress/400, etc., replace the FIND with a FOR EACH to look at the schema holder and foreign database settings.
The code can be extended to display additional SESSION ATTRIBUTES such as CPCASE, CPLOG, CPPRINT, DATE-FORMAT, etc. and FUNCTIONS DBCODEPAGE(n) and DBCOLLATION(n). Refer to the extended code example in Article:
VST Queries: _Startup or _DbParams, _Servers
VST queries can be queried from a shared-memory or client-server connection to the database.
- _Startup VST. Refer to the code example in Article
- _Servers VST. Refer to the code example in Article
- Starting in OpenEdge Release 11.5:
- The _DbParams VST can be used. _DbParams replaces the _Startup VST from previous versions. The _Startup VST will be removed from the OpenEdge Database in OpenEdge 12. Refer to the code example in Article:
- OpenEdge 11.5, additional _Server._SrvParam* extent fields were added to the _Servers VST that show the values of Database Server-specific startup parameters. Refer to the code example in Article: