When objects have been assigned to the Alternate Buffer Pool:
- When enabling TDE: Start the Database without -B2 in order to run epolicy manage update sessions to encrypt existing data. Once blocks have been encrypted, initialise -B2 online with: proutil -C increaseto -B2 <value>
- Once the Alternate Buffer Pool is in use, run online PROBKUP and analysis tools with Private Buffers (-Bp)
- probkup online dbname <backupvolume> -Bp 64
- proutil dbname -C dbanalys -Bp 64
Consider increasing the database startup parameter -Bpmax 64 (default). The private buffer pool (-Bp) is an isolated portion of public buffer pool (-B), it is also limited to no more than 25% of the primary buffer pool (-B) value.
Other possible workarounds for the 1040 error:
1. Monitor the use of B2 according to the steps presented in the article below on how to size, monitor and manage the alternate buffer pool. If more buffers are used than the value specified for the -B2, restart the database as soon as possible to avoid getting 1040.
2. As a last resort in case 1040 error persists, in terms of a workaround, stop using -B2. It is not necessary to un-assign the objects assigned to B2 but when starting up a database broker do not specify a value for the -B2 parameter.